- 28 Lyons Street , Newstead, 3462
- 9 July 1858
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Newstead National School, Newstead Common School, Newstead State School
The history of Newstead Primary School
Newstead opened as a national school in 1858. The first head teacher was McIlwrick. The red brick school building was built on the west side of Daylesford Road.
The school became a common school in 1862.
The school became a state school in 1877.
The school was renovated in 1912.
The school commemorated its 100th anniversary in 1959 with a ‘Back to Newstead' event. It was attended by the Minister of Education, Hon. John S. Bloomfield.
An office and storeroom were added in 1964.
The school was renamed Newstead Primary School in 1970.
Newstead Primary School is still in operation.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.