JavaScript is required

150 years: Piggoreet State School

Learn about the history of Piggoreet State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Piggoreet, 3351
1 January 1864
31 December 1924
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Piggoreet Common School

The history of Piggoreet State School

  • 1864

    Piggoreet opened as a common school in 1864.

    The first head teacher was Benhamin Scott and 66 students were enrolled.

    Classes were held in a timber schoolhouse big enough for 200 students.

  • 1870s

    The school had grown to around 300 students. This was because there were now around 600 miners working in the local goldfield.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1882

    The original timber schoolhouse was replaced by a smaller one that was big enough for 100 students.

    The number of students enrolled at the school had been decreasing as mining families left the area.

  • 1911

    The school won a First Class Certificate for the garden in 1911.

    The head teacher at the time was Thomas Rumble.

  • 1924

    Piggoreet State School closed in 1924.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.