150 years: Pomborneit Primary School

Learn about the history of Pomborneit Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Pomborneit , 3260
1 January 1870
1 January 1981
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Pomborneit Common School, Pomborneit State School

The history of Pomborneit Primary School

  • 1870

    Pomborneit opened in 1870 as a common school with 35 students in attendance. It was deemed unsatisfactory by the Board of Education.

  • 1871

    The Board of Education recognised the school as satisfactory.

  • 1883

    The new railway caused school enrolments to grow to around 60 students.

    A new school building was added to the Pomborneit site. It came from the neighbouring school Purrumbete North State School (No. 1014), which closed down.

    A teacher's house was also built.

  • 1910 to 1949

    The First World War saw 49 former students enlist for service.

    Three students, James Newland VC, William Yates DSO and Frank Lord received decorations for gallantry. Lord later became the Principal of Toorak Teachers College.

    Between the wars, the school ran annual calf club field days and flower shows. These were supported by the rural community.

  • 1952

    The local population decreased and the school closed in 1952.

  • 1956

    The school reopened.

  • 1981

    The school closed again in 1981.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.