150 years: Raglan Primary School

Learn about the history of Raglan Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Old Beaufort Road, Raglan, 3373
6 December 1861
31 December 1996
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Raglan School, Raglan Common School, Raglan State School

The history of Raglan Primary School

  • 1854

    Gold was discovered along Fiery Creek. This caused a population influx in the farming district where the Grant, Lancey, Pitcher and Ball families settled.

  • 1861

    A denominational school opened near Fiery Creek.

  • 1864

    It is believed that the denominational school became a common school (No. 523) because a school by this name was listed.

  • 1873

    The newly formed Department of Education built a new school building when Raglan became a state school.

  • 1902

    In 1902, a new building replaced the building completed in 1873.

  • 1930

    The school established a timber plantation.

  • 1952

    Parents formed a Mothers' Club.

    A new teacher's resident was also built.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Raglan Primary School in 1970. 

  • 1996

    The school closed in 1996.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.