150 years: Ravenswood Primary School

Learn about the history of Ravenswood Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Ravenswood, 3453
6 May 1872
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Ravenswood Common School, Ravenswood State School

The history of Ravenswood Primary School

  • 1871

    The drive to open a school was led by Jonathan Bond. Bond was the station master at Ravenswood.

  • 1872

    Ravenswood opened. The first head teacher was Mrs Selina Hall.

    The brick school building had stone foundations, a pine floor and an iron roof.

  • 1883 to 1886

    Ravenswood worked part-time with Shelbourne State School (No. 2263) from 1883 to 1885. Working part-time means that the schools shared a single teacher. The teacher would have to split their time between the two schools.

    From 1886 it worked part-time with Ravenswood South State School (No. 1546).

  • 1892

    The school resumed full-time teaching when 28 students were enrolled.

  • 1896

    A severe summer storm caused considerable damage to the building.

  • 1910

    Head teacher Frank Genardini requested permission to remove the old gallery.

  • 1915

    A District Inspector report on the building stated: "It is of brick and very old. The iron is loose on the roof, the windows and window frames are in a bad condition and beyond repair."

  • 1918

    Painting and repairs were completed.

    An additional acre of ground adjoining the school was purchased to erect a tennis court.

  • 1925

    The school was used as the local hall many times. It was also used as a church and Sunday school before 1925.

  • 1959

    Electricity was installed.

  • 1960

    16 March

    A Mothers' Club was formed.

  • 1964

    A septic system was installed.

  • 1966

    24 March

    The Mothers' Club disbanded. This was due to a lack of numbers. During this time it raised money for school equipment.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Ravenswood Primary School in 1970.

  • 1971

    The train station closed. Enrolments fell to six as most students came from families living in the railway houses.

    These families left when the station closed.

  • 1981

    The school closed in 1981.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.

Learn more about the records at PROV(opens in a new window)

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.