- Talbot, 3371
- 1 July 1866
- 11 April 1953
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Red Lion Common School
The history of Red Lion State School
Red Lion opened in 1865 under head teacher Thomas Ferres. There were 40 students enrolled.
The weatherboard school building included a teacher's house.
Red Lion became a common school in 1866 and was given the number 850.
A five-room teacher's house was built in 1875.
The average number of students was 20 students.
The District Inspector said that the school and near-by Mount Cameron State School (No. 1101) should work part-time together.
The local community protested this recommendation. It was agreed to continue operating as a full-time school on a trial basis.
By 1885 Red Lion began operating as a part-time school with Mount Cameron.
It also worked part time with Daisy Hill State School (No. 1206) at some stage.
The school was closed and reopened many times due to low numbers of students.
The teacher's house was condemned as it was unsafe to live in.
The school operated part-time with Stoney Creek State School (No. 886) for a few months.
There was an average attendance of only seven students and the school was closed.
The teacher's house was sold to the ‘Closer Settlement Board'.
This scheme helped poor people buy a home.
Red Lion reopened and started operating part-time with Daisy Hill State School (No. 1206).
The school building was very run down by this time.
It was found that the building could collapse at any time and the school should move.
The Department of Education leased a room in the home of a local called Pilcher to hold classes.
The school was operating full-time once again.
The old school building belonging to Havelock State School (No. 1264 ) was relocated to the Red Lion school site.
The school started operating out of the relocated building.
Red Lion worked part-time with Dunach State School (No. 1412).
Only five students attended the school.
The school closed in 1953.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.