150 years: Redbank Primary School

Learn about the history of Redbank Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

St Arnaud, 3478
1 July 1867
31 December 1993
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Redbank Common School, Redbank State School

The history of Redbank Primary School

  • 1867

    Redbank opened as a common school in 1867 on High Street. The first head teacher was James Hones.

    The school building had two classrooms, a wooden porch and was built with handmade bricks.

    The original slab roof was later covered in galvanised iron.

    A teacher's house was also built.

  • 1911

    A School Committee was formed.

  • 1947

    The teacher's house was replaced with a building relocated from Moyreisk South State School (No. 3399).

  • 1966

    A Mothers' organisation was created.

  • 1967

    The school held its centenary.

    Past and present students attended with their families.

  • 1968

    The school building was renovated.

  • 1970

    The name of the school was changed to Redbank Primary School in 1970.

  • 1993

    The school closed in 1993.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.