JavaScript is required

150 years: Riddells Creek Primary School

Learn about the history of Riddlles Creek Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

69-77 Main Road , Riddells Creek, 3431
6 July 1859
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Riddells Creek School, Riddells Creek Common School, Riddells Creek State School

The History of Riddells Creek Primary School

  • 1859

    Riddells Creek school was opened by the Church of England in 1859. Mr and Mrs Kettleworth were the teachers at the time. They held classes in the rear of the general store and butcher's shop. 

  • 1860s

    The school became Riddell's Creek Common School (No. 528) when Charles Winston was head teacher. The back of the butcher's shop was still used for classes and Winston used the butcher's block as his desk. A new common school was erected at some stage in the 1860s. 

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Riddells Creek Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Riddells Creek Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.