JavaScript is required

150 years: River View State School

Learn about the history of River View State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Lauriston, 3444
1 January 1860
6 June 1955
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Campaspe Grammar, Campaspe Common School

The history of River View State School

  • 1860

    The school opened in 1860. When it opened it was called Campaspe Grammar. Classes were held in a brick schoolhouse with a shingle roof.

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862.

    There were 36 students enrolled at the school (24 boys and 12 girls).

  • 1870s

    A timber house was built for the head teacher in 1872. It had 4 rooms.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    The name of the school changed to River View around this time.

    The average number of students going to school in 1873 was 70.

    A large number of trees and hedges were planted in the school grounds in 1877.

  • 1885

    There were 44 students enrolled in 1885.

  • 1893

    The number of students enrolled in 1893 had fallen to 16.

  • 1895

    The school closed in March 1895.

  • 1900

    River View reopened in August 1900.

    The head teacher was Mabel King.

  • 1903

    The school closed again in September 1903.

  • 1904

    The teacher's house was sold and moved elsewhere.

  • 1906

    The school reopened once more in August 1906.

  • 1955

    River View State School closed in 1955.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.