150 years: Sandringham Primary School

Learn about the history of Sandringham Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

31 Bamfield Street, Sandringham, 3191
6 August 1855
School type:
School number:

The history of Sandringham Primary School

  • 1855

    The school was opened by the Church of England in 1855. It was known as Gypsy Village school, which was the name of the local area at the time. The school was located on Bamfield Street and 20 students were enrolled (11 boys and 9 girls). 

  • 1860s

    The school became a common school in 1862. It was added to the list of common schools in 1863 as Church of England Common School No. 267 Gypsy Village. 

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1875 when the head teacher was Mary E. Davey. The Department of Education took over the lease for the school building. 

  • 1880s

    The Department purchased the block that included the original school. A new brick school was built in 1885 or 1886. 

  • 1911

    The English and Victorian schools of Sandringham exchanged flags in 1911. Both schools shared the same name as the Sandringham area in Melbourne was named after Sandringham in England. There is a photograph of the Prince of Wales hoisting the Australian flag at the English school at the time. 

  • 1960s

    The number of students enrolled in the late 1960s was around 500.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Sandringham Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Sandringham Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.