JavaScript is required

150 years: Sedgwick Primary School

Learn about the history of Sedgwick Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Sedgwick, 3551
14 October 1867
1 January 1990
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Upper Emu Creek Common School, Upper Emu Creek State School, Sedgwick State School

The history of Sedgwick Primary School

  • 1865

    The school opened as a private school called Upper Emu Creek.

    The original building was weatherboard and had a bark roof.

  • 1868

    The Board of Education started paying the salary of head teacher, TJ Grainger.

    However, his salary was backdated to 1867 when the school became a common school.

  • 1901

    The school name changed to Sedgwick State School.

  • 1950s

    A new teacher's house was built to replace an earlier house destroyed by a fire.

  • 1966

    The school closed due to falling attendance.

  • 1967

    The school reopened, coinciding with the school's 100th anniversary celebrations.

  • 1968

    A new building was added when termite damage destroyed an older school building.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Sedgwick Primary School in 1970.

  • 1990

    The school closed in 1990 due to low enrolment numbers.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.