150 years: Snake Valley Primary School

Learn about the history of Snake Valley Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Snake Valley, 3351
1 April 1854
17 July 1994
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Snake Valley School, Snake Valley Common School, Snake Valley State School

The history of Snake Valley Primary School

  • 1854

    Snake Valley School opened in 1854.

    The first teachers were William F. Vance and James C. Bartlett.

  • 1862

    Snake Valley School became a common school in 1862.

  • 1866

    There were 197 students enrolled in 1866.

  • 1870s

    Snake Valley Common School became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    By 1877 the number of students going to the school was increasing. Two new brick classrooms were added to the school.


  • 1880

    The size of the school grounds was increased.

  • 1910

    The old wooden section of the schoolhouse was demolished in 1910 and a one-room brick extension added.

    The brick schoolhouse now consisted of 3 rooms.

    A shelter shed was also built.

  • 1934

    The head teachers house was built in 1934.

    The head teacher at the time was Leo Segrave.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed to Snake Valley Primary School in 1970. 

  • 1994

    Snake Valley Primary School was closed in 1994 when it combined with other schools to form Woady Yaloak Primary School (No. 5440).

    The schools that combined were:

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.