JavaScript is required

150 years: Spring Gully State School

Learn about the history of Spring Gully State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Spring Gully , 3550
18 September 1871
31 December 1903
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Spring Flat Common School, Spring Gully Common School

The history of Spring Gully State School

  • 1871

    The school opened as a common school in 1871. It was originally known as Spring Flat and later became Spring Gully. 

    It replaced Common School No. 581 which had been opened by Presbyterian Church in 1857.

    The first head teacher at Spring Gully was David Wilkinson. He had also been the head teacher at Common School No. 581.

  • 1873

    The school became a state school in 1873. There were 77 students enrolled.

  • 1892

    R. Curry replaced David Wilkinson as head teacher in 1892.

    There were less students at the school now because the local mines were closing and mining families were moving away.

  • 1895

    It was decided to keep the school open for a bit longer even though there were not enough students and there were two other state schools close by.

  • 1903

    Spring Gully State School closed at the end of 1903.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.