150 years: Staffordshire Reef State School

Learn about the history of Staffordshire Reef State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Scarsdale, 3351
1 January 1862
31 December 1926
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Staffordshire Reef Common School

The history of Staffordshire Reef State School

  • 1862

    Staffordshire Reef opened as a common school in 1862.

    The first head teacher was Thomas Jamieson.

    The Staffordshire Reef township got its name from 3 miners who came from Staffordshire in England and who found a reef of gold there.

  • 1870s

     The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. 

  • 1926

    Staffordshire Reef State School closed in 1926.

    The last teacher was Miss O. Guy. 

    The timber schoolhouse was moved to the school at Mount Bute. It later burnt down in the 1944 bushfires.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.