JavaScript is required

150 years: Stony Creek State School

Learn about the history of Stony Creek State School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Talbot, 3371
1 January 1865
31 December 1916
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Kangaroo Gully, Stony Creek Common School, Stony Creek State School

The history of Stony Creek State School

  • 1865

    The school was built by local residents in 1865 approximately 10 km south of Talbot.

    The local committee applied for a teachers salary and a building extension grant from the Board of Education.

    The building grant was not awarded, but a salary was granted for the school's Head Teacher James Knight.

  • 1867

    The building was extended.

  • 1869

    A new brick schoolhouse was built.

    The old school house was then used as the teacher's home.

  • 1876

    A gold rush led to the school site being fenced earlier than expected.

  • 1893

    Closing the school was considered but did not go ahead.

  • 1902

    Enrolments had fallen to ten students.

    Due to falling attendance, the District Inspector changed the school from full-time to part-time. It was later combined with Red Lion State School (No. 850).

  • 1916

    The school closed in 1916.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.