150 years: Streatham Primary School

Learn about the history of Streatham Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Campbell Street, Streatham, 3351
27 February 1866
31 December 1993
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Streatham Common School, Streatham State School

The history of Streatham Primary School

  • 1866

    Streatham opened in 1866 as a common school.

    The first head teacher was Francis Ross. The school dismissed him after one month.

    Ross was replaced by head teacher R. Stevenson.

    The original school was a small greystone building that included a lobby and a living room.

  • 1867

    The head teacher lived at the school in the ‘master's quarters'.

  • 1879

    The number of students had reached 45. Parents wrote to the Department to ask for an expansion of the cramped classroom.

    The original classroom was 20 ft by 16 ft (approximately 6 m by 5 m).

  • 1890

    The first sewing mistress was appointed. Her name was Mrs Mellors and she was the wife of the head teacher.

  • 1897

    Miss E.M Scovell started teaching at the school. Her father ran a boot making business on the school porch.

  • 1900

    An inspection of the school found the school building and the shelter sheds unsafe.

  • 1909

    A nearby subdivision brought more families to the area. This led to overcrowding at the school.

    A new school was designed and built to accommodate 52 students.

    It also included housing for the head teacher.

  • 1914

    Funds were raised to support the school with building a new shelter shed and planting a garden.

  • 1915

    A veranda was added to the school house.

  • 1919

    Students planted trees to honour fallen First World War soldiers from the Streatham district. The day was called Arbor Day.

    From 1919 onwards, children from the nearby Nerrin Nerrin Estate started attending Streatham.

    Students would continue to come from this estate until the Nerrin Nerrin State School (No. 4244) was built in 1930.

  • 1951

    Nerrin Nerrin closed and students had to travel by bus to Streatham.

  • 1952

    Two classrooms were added. This was due to the closure of the old Mail Lead School.

  • 1955

    Enrolments at Streatham peaked at 120 students due to the Solider Settlement Scheme.

  • 1967

    The school marked its 100th anniversary by buying a new shelter shed and television set. 

  • 1970s

    The school changed its name to Streatham Primary School in 1970.

    In the 1970s, the school had two bus services to bring students from surrounding areas. One bus arrived from Nerrin Nerrin and the other from Yalla-Y-Poora.

  • 1977

    A major bushfire caused significant damage to the town and destroyed two classrooms at the school.

  • 1993

    The school closed in 1993 when it combined with Westmere Primary School (No. 3833 ) to form the new Streatham and District Primary School (No. 5387).

    Notable head teacher

    Former Director of Education, James McCrae, was head teacher at Streatham in 1905.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.