- 98 High Street , Taradale, 3447
- 1 April 1855
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Taradale National School, Taradale Common School, Taradale State School
The history of Taradale Primary School
Taradale opened as a national school in 1855.
Most of the local population was involved in gold mining.
The first head teacher was Peter Farrington and there were 27 students enrolled (11 girls and 16 boys).
The average number of students was 18.
The head teacher was John Puckey and Eliza Puckey also taught at the school.
Sometime in the 1870s the school became a state school.
The bluestone and brick schoolhouse was extended.
The average number of students was 205.
A new timber teacher's house was built around the turn of the century.
1910s to 1930s
Attendance fell to about 75 round the time of the First World War. It remained consistent until the 1930s.
In the 1930s mining and business in the town slowed and the population decreased.
The school named changed to Taradale Primary School.
The building from closed Metcalfe Primary School (No. 851) was moved to Taradale. It was used as a multi-purpose room.
Taradale observed its 150th anniversary with a plaque at the entrance of the school building.
Taradale Primary School is still in operation today. The original school house is still in use.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.