JavaScript is required

150 years: Tarilta State School

Learn about the history of Tarilta State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Tarilta, 3451
1 November 1861
31 December 1925
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Kangaroo Flat National School, Kangaroo Flat Common School, Tarilta Common School

The history of Tarlita State School

  • 1861

    The school opened as a national school in 1861. It was known as Kangaroo Flat National School when it opened. 

    The first head teacher was John Dunstan.

    There were around 60 students at the school when it opened.

    A timber schoolhouse with a shingle roof was built

  • 1862

    This school became a common school in 1862. 

  • 1864

    The name of the school changed to Tarilta around this time when Kangaroo Flat was renamed Tarilta.

  • 1870s

    The size of the schoolhouse was increased in 1873.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1894

    The original old schoolhouse was demolished.

  • 1907

    A shelter shed was built.

  • 1913

    A house was built for the teacher. It had 5 rooms.

  • 1925

    Tarilta State School closed in 1925.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.