150 years: Walmer State School

Learn about the history of Walmer State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Muckleford, 3451
14 January 1856
31 December 1926
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Muckleford Common School, Muckleford State School, Walmer State School
  • 1856

    The school opened in 1856. It was called Muckleford at the time. The head teacher was John Miller. When the school opened, the average number of students attending the school was 17. Classes were held in a local church.

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862. By now, a stone schoolhouse had been built. It was big enough for 60 students.

  • 1868

    The average number of students attending school was 26 in 1868.

  • 1870s

    A new school was built in 1871. The schoolhouse was brick with a shingle roof and a porch. The head teacher in 1872 was Arthur Kemp. The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1883

    Because student numbers were low, the school became part time. Muckleford shared a teacher with North Walmer State School (No. 2264). The teacher taught across both schools.

  • 1885

    The school changed its name to Walmer State School.

  • 1887

    The school operated full time again when North Walmer closed.

  • 1889

    There were 40 students enrolled at the school in 1889.

  • 1891

    The number of students enrolled had fallen to 11 and the school temporarily closed.

  • 1898

    The school opened again in 1898 and the average number of students attending was 38.

  • 1926

    Walmer State School closed in 1926.