150 years: Warrandyte Primary School

Learn about the history of Warrandyte Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

5-11 Forbes Street, Warrandyte, 3113
3 December 1856
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Anderson's Creek School, Anderson's Creek Common School, Anderson's Creek State School, Warrandyte State School

The history of Warrandyte Primary School

  • 1850s

    The school opened in a tent in 1856 at the Anderson Creek diggings. It was known as Anderson's Creek School at the time.

    It moved to the Caledonia diggings in 1858.

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862.

  • 1863

    Classes were held in the Anderson's Creek courthouse.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    The school building was in disrepair in 1873. The school moved to an existing stone building in 1877 on the corner of Forbes Street and Brackenbury Street. A teacher's residence was added beside the school in 1879.

  • 1908

    The name of the school was changed to Warrandyte State School in 1908.

  • 1923

    Black and white photograph of the Warrandyte school building with a student standing at the top of the steps to the front door. Warrandyte Primary School in 1923 when it was Warrandyte State School. Source: State Library of Victoria
  • 1960s

    Enrolment increased from 245 in 1960 to 400 in 1968.

    A swimming pool opened in 1963.


  • 1970

    The school was renamed Warrandyte Primary School in 1970.

  • 1972

    The school library opened in 1972.

  • 1975

    A birthday celebration of the school's stone building was held in 1975. A plaque was installed on the wall of the stone building.

    A time capsule was buried and a centenary garden was established. 

  • 2005

    The swimming pool was drained and filled in. It is now a sustainable garden. 

  • 2011

    A new multi-purpohse room opened in 2011. It was named 'the Bampi'. Bampi is an aboriginal word for bush. 

  • 2022

    Warrandyte Primary School is still in operation. 

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.