JavaScript is required

150 years: Woodbrook State School

Learn about the history of Woodbrook State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Maryborough, 3465
1 May 1872
31 December 1932
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Chinaman's Creek Common School, Chinaman's Creek State School

The history of Woodbrook State School

  • 1870s

    The school opened as common school in 1872. It was known as Chinaman's Flat School at the time. It replaced Chinaman's Creek School (No. 842).

    The schoolhouse was brick and stone with a porch and shingle roof.

    The first head teacher was John Hocking.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1891

    The school was renamed to Woodbrook State School in 1891.

  • 1899

    There were 20 students enrolled at the school in 1899.

  • 1909

    Woodbrook had low student numbers so it became a part-time school. It shared its only teacher with Glenluce State School (No. 771), and the teacher split their time between both schools.

  • 1913

    The school closed in 1913 when only 5 students were enrolled.

  • 1918

    There were enough students for the school to reopen in 1918.

  • 1932

    Woodbrook State School closed in 1932.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.