JavaScript is required

150 years: Woorndoo Primary School

Learn about the history of Woorndoo Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Recreation Street, Woorndoo, 3272
18 January 1869
1 January 1987
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Woorndoo Common School, Woorndoo State School

The History of Woorndoo Primary School

  • 1869

    Woorndoo School opened as a common school in 1869.

    The first head teacher was David Brown Tait.

    His wife helped with sewing and knitting classes, as well as teaching the younger children.

    Classes were held in an empty house owned by a local resident.

  • 1870s

    Woorndoo school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1882

    A new schoolhouse was built to replace the old house.

  • 1932

    There were only 14 students at the school in 1932. This was down from around 70 in the early 1900s. 

  • 1953

    The Mother's Club was formed in 1953 to raise money for school materials. The club was able to buy a radiogram, refrigerator and a tape recorder.

  • 1955

    A new classroom was opened because the number of students had increased. This was because soldiers who had fought in the second World War and their families were moving into the area.

  • 1967

    There were 51 students enrolled in 1967. 

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Woorndoo Primary School in 1970.

  • 1987

    Woorndoo Primary School closed in 1987.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.