JavaScript is required

150 years: Alberton Primary School

Learn about the history of Alberton Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

21 Thomas Street, Alberton, 3971
22 February 1858
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Alberton School, Alberton Common School, Alberton State School

The history of Alberton Primary School

  • 1858

    Alberton opened in 1858. The first head teacher was George Groves. His assistant was Thomas Connor. There were 43 students enrolled when the school opened (26 boys and 17 girls).

    The schoolhouse was made from branches and twigs held together with clay and mud. Some walls were made from galvanised iron.

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862.

  • 1863

    The size of the school grounds was increased in 1863.

    Common schools were numbered according to the alphabet in 1862 and Alberton became school No.1. 

  • 1873

    The school became a state school in 1873.

  • 1891

    A new brick schoolhouse was built to replace the old stick and mud building.

  • 1949

    By 1949 the school grounds had been increased again.

  • 1958

    An event was held to recognise that the school had been open for 100 years.

  • 1967

    The brick schoolhouse had become very run down. It was replaced by a new timber building.

  • 1970

    The school changed its name to Alberton Primary School.

  • 2022

    Alberton Primary School is still in operation. 

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.