150 years: Burwood East Primary School

Learn about the history of Burwood East Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Corner Blackburn Road and Highbury Road, Burwood East, 3151
1 December 1861
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Harkaway School, Nunawading Common School, Nunawading State School, Burwood East State School

The history of Burwood East Primary School

  • 1861

    Burwood East opened in 1861. It was known as Harkaway School and was run by a local church. There were 20 students at the school when it opened. The schoolhouse was brick and had one room. A house for the teacher was attached.

  • 1864

    The school became a common school and changed its name to Nunawading. There were 44 students enrolled at the school in 1864.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1902

    The school was renamed Burwood East State School in 1902.

  • 1907

    A second brick classroom was built.

  • 1953

    There were 108 students at the school in 1953. The size of the school grounds was increased.

  • 1960

    The numbers of students at the school had been growing. There were now 280 students. Another 2 school buildings had been added.

  • 1966

    The teacher's house was demolished in 1966.

  • 1967

    There were now 695 students enrolled at the school.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Burwood East Primary School.

  • 1972

    There were now 19 classrooms at the school.

  • 2022

    Burwood East Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.