- 4-14 Staley Street, California Gully, 3556
- 1 January 1861
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Roper's School, California Gully School, California Gully Common School, California Gully State School
The history of California Gully Primary School
California Gully opened in 1859. It was known as Roper's School when it opened.
The first head teacher was R.W Fawcett.
Classes were held in a timber slab hut.
The school became a common school in 1862.
A new schoolhouse was built.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
The school closed in December 1878 and later opened as an adjunct of Long Gully State School. This meant that students went to Long Gully for some classes.
A new building was built. It had a woodwork, needlework and a cookery room.
The school re-opened as a separate school from Long Gully.
There were around 104 students enrolled at the school in the 1910s.
The school was renamed California Gully Primary School.
California Gully Primary School is still in operation.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.