150 years: Carngham State School

Learn about the history of Carngham State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Carngham, 3351
1 January 1856
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Carngham Common School

The history of Carngham State School

  • 1856

    Carngham opened as a national school in 1856. The first head teacher was Donald M. Campbell.

    The wooden schoolhouse had a single classroom.

  • 1862

    The school became a common school.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1900

    The school was moved to a new brick building with one classroom. The head teacher's house was moved to this new site.

  • 1911

    The school closed in 1911 because the number of students was only 11. Before it closed, the school had operated part time with Black Hill State School (No. 1325) and Chepstowe State School (No. 867).

  • 1958

    Carngham State School re-opened on 9 September 1958. 14 students were taught in a wooden schoolhouse with one classroom.

    The brick school building that had been built back in 1900 was demolished after the second World War.

    The head teacher was J. Sharp. The school was now located in the Carngham Soldier Settler Estate.

    It is not known when the school closed.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.