- 61 Concongella School Road, Concongella, 3384
- 1 April 1872
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Concongella Common School, Concongella State School
The history of Concongella Primary School
Concogella opened as a common school in 1872. The first head teacher was John Murphy. There were 32 students enrolled when the school opened.
The schoolhouse was made of red brick. It had only one room. Night classes were also held at the school.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
The number of students going to the school was now 57.
A pine tree plantation was planted around this time. The trees would be sold when they were fully grown to raise money for the school.
Parents paid to have one of the rooms removed from the school. Children had been put into the dark space under this room to punish them.
During the 1940s the number of students going to school dropped to 8. The pine trees planted in the 1890s had reached gigantic proportions. They blocked out the light and were dangerous.
The school got a radio.
The school got playground equipment.
Some of the pine trees close to the school were cut down.
In 1961 the number of students enrolled at the school was 43. Some of these students had to use a room at the local hall for their classroom.
A concrete assembly area and paths were added to the school.
The school was renamed Concongella Primary School in 1970.
Concongella Primary School is still in operation.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.