150 years: Elmhurst Primary School

Learn about the history of Elmhurst Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

48 Byerly Street, Elmhurst, 3469
1 July 1868
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Elmhurst Common School, Elmhurst State School

The history of Elmhurst Primary School

  • 1868

    Elmhurst opened as a common school in 1868. The first head teacher was George McMullen. There were more than 60 students enrolled when the school opened.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. A brick schoolhouse and house for the teacher was built around this time. 

  • 1947

    In 1947 the main classroom was made bigger and divided into 2 rooms

  • 1962

    An all-purpose room was opened. 

  • 1968

    The old teacher's house was demolished and a new house built.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Elmhurst Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Elmhurst Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.