150 years: Evansford Primary School

Learn about the history of Evansford Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Evansford, 3371
25 February 1867
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Evansford Common School, Evansford State School

The history of Evansford Primary School

  • 1867

    Evansford opened as a common school in 1867 with an average of 35 children attending (19 girls and 16 boys).

    The first head teacher was J.C. Sloane.

    The teacher was provided with a four-room timber house with shingle roof.

    The schoolhouse was a bluestone building with brick window sills and an iron roof.

  • 1870s

    Another room was added to the teacher's house in 1872.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    A new porch was added to the schoolhouse in 1877.

  • 1900

    A veranda was added to the teacher's house.

  • 1907

    A shelter shed for the children was built in 1907.

  • 1911

    There were 48 students at the school in 1911.

  • 1945

    Evansford was closed in 1945 because there were not enough students. The teacher's house was demolished after the school closed.

  • 1956

    The school opened again in 1956. There were more families living around Evansford because land had been given to soldiers who had fought in the second world war.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Evansford Primary School in 1970. There were 11 students.

    It is not known when the school closed.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.