150 years: Fitzroy Primary School

Learn about the history of Fitzroy Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

319 George Street, Fitzroy , 3065
1 October 1855
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Collingwood Commercial Academy, North Collingwood National School, Fitzroy State School

The history of Fitzroy Primary School

  • 1855

    Fitzroy opened in 1855. The head teacher was Hugh L. Templeton. It was known as Collingwood Commercial Academy when it opened. Classes were held in St Mark's church hall on Napier Street. 

  • 1862

    The school became a common school around this time. 
    1872 The school became a state school in 1872. 

  • 1872

    The school became a state school in 1872. 

  • 1874

    A new schoolhouse was built in 1874 on George Street and the school moved to its present site. 

  • 1888

    A home for the caretaker was built. 

  • 1914

    The playground was made bigger. 

  • 1924

    The school building was extended to include extra classrooms. 

  • 1930

    Around this time, many people did not have jobs or enough money (known as The Depression). Free meals were given to the students every day by a local church. 

  • 1961

    The playground was made bigger again.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Fitzroy Primary School in 1970. A new building on Napier Streeet opened the same year. 

  • 2005

    The school held a big event in 2005 to mark its 150th anniversary. Past and present families attended the event. 

  • 2022

    Fitzroy Primary School is still in operation. 

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.