JavaScript is required

150 years: Flemington Primary School

Learn about the history of Flemington Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Corner Mt Alexander Road and Padman Lane, Flemington, 3031
1 December 1858
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Flemington National School, Flemington Common School, Flemington State School

The history of Flemington Primary School

  • 1858

    Flemington opened in 1858. The first head teacher was Joshua Mason. There were 45 students enrolled when the school opened.

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862.

  • 1868

    A new school building was built on Mt Alexander Rd. This building became part of Flemington Girls High School. 

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1885

    The school closed in March. The nearby school Kensington State School had too many students so Flemington re-opened in September.

  • 1924

    In 1924, the school opened on a new site. The head teacher was Kanor Williams. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Flemington Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Flemington Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.