JavaScript is required

150 years: Freshwater Creek Primary School

Learn about the history of Freshwater Creek Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

655 Anglesea Road , Freshwater Creek, 3217
1 May 1856
31 December 1993
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Freshwater Creek School, Freshwater Creek Common School, Freshwater Creek State School

The history of Freshwater Creek Primary School

  • 1856

    Freshwater Creek opened in 1856.

    The first head teacher was Robert Brooks.

    There were 80 students enrolled when the school opened.

    The schoolhouse was made from bluestone.

  • 1862

    This school became a common school in 1862.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school sometime between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1883

    A new weatherboard schoolhouse was opened in June 1883.

    Single storey weatherboard school building with flag post at Freshwater State School
    Freshwater Creek School building undated Source: Public Record Office Victoria

    A house for the teacher was provided later.

  • 1970

    The name of the school changed to Freshwater Creek Primary School in 1970.

  • 1993

    Freshwater Creek Primary School closed in 1993 when it combined with other schools to form Mount Duneed Regional Primary School (No. 5380).

    The following schools were combined:

    • Freshwater Creek Primary School (No. 256)
    • Mount Duneed Primary School (No. 2036)
    • Connewarre Primary School (No. 2088)

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.