- Smythesdale, 3351
- 1 July 1865
- 31 December 1928
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Grand Trunk Common School
The history of Grand Trunk State School
Grand Trunk opened as a common school in 1865. Its name comes from the nearby gold mine called Grand Trunk Mine.
The head teacher was John Berkery and 57 students were enrolled.
The wooden schoolhouse was built on open parkland. Cattle that grazed on the parkland would shelter at the schoolhouse at night.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
By 1875 the number of students enrolled had risen to 132 and the size of the schoolroom was increased.
The school was finally fenced to keep out the cattle.
The fencing materials came from Woady Yalloak State School (No. 2215) when it closed.
The number of students enrolled had fallen and the school had become very run down.
The school inspector described it as 'cold and draughty', 'almost a ruin', 'murky and dull', and having 'a roof overgrown with moss'.
A new school was built in 1914 and the old building was sold.
Grand Trunk was unstaffed early in 1922. This meant there was no teacher at the school and no classes were held.
A new teacher was appointed in August.
There were discussions about closing the school but Grand Trunk stayed open for a trial period.
Grand Trunk State School closed in 1928.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.