150 years: Ironbark Hill State School

Learn about the history of Ironbark Hill State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Ironbark, 3550
1 June 1861
31 December 1928
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Ironbark Hill Common School

The history of Ironbark Hill State School

  • 1861

    Ironbark Hill opened in 1861.

    The first head teacher was John Rae.

    The average number of students going to the school was 101 (66 boys and 35 girls).

    Classes were held in a rented building.

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    A schoolhouse was built in 1875. It was made from brick and stone and it was big enough for 215 students. The head teacher's house was attached to the schoolhouse. This house had 4 brick rooms and 4 timber rooms.

  • 1884

    The number of students was growing and a new schoolhouse was built that was big enough for a further 327 students.

  • 1893

    Ironbark Hill became an adjunct to Bendigo State School (No. 877). This meant that students from Ironbark Hill had to go to Bendigo for classes.

  • 1928

    Ironbark Hill closed in 1928.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.