JavaScript is required

150 years: Jamieson Primary School

Learn about the history of Jamieson Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

1 The Sideling , Jamieson, 3723
20 October 1865
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Jamieson Common School, Jamieson State School

The history of Jamieson Primary School

  • 1865

    Jamieson opened as a common school in 1865. The school building had been finished a few years earlier. The first head teacher was Andrew Loughrey. The wooden school building was rebuilt with local handmade bricks. 

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    Attendance at the school reached 217 in 1877. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Jamieson Primary School in 1970. There were 28 students enrolled at the time. The brick school building was still in use.

  • 2022

    Jamieson Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.