150 years: Langwornor State School

Learn about the history of Langwornor State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Address:
Heathcote, 3523
Opened:
1 November 1872
Closed:
31 December 1956
School type:
Primary
School number:
1158
Other names:
 Langwornor Common School

The history Langwornor State School

  • 1872

    Langwornor opened as a common school 1872. The first head teacher was Sinclair Rogers.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. 

    A house was built for the head teacher in 1874. 

  • 1885

    A portable schoolroom from Shepherd's Creek State School (No. 2447) was moved to the school.

  • 1893

    There were only 9 students at the school in 1893.

  • 1899

    Because student numbers were low, the school operated part time.

    Langwornor shared a teacher with Langwornor South State School (No. 2385).

    The teacher split their time between both schools until both schools closed in 1899.

  • 1902

    Langwornor reopened in 1902.

  • 1904

    The teacher's house had become very run down and it was destroyed by fire in 1904.

  • 1956

    Langwornor State School closed in 1956.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.

Updated