JavaScript is required

150 years: Myrniong Primary School

Learn about the history of Myrniong Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

13 Muddy Lane , Myrniong, 3341
1 October 1859
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Blow's Flat National School, Myrniong Common School, Myrniong State School

The history of Myrniong Primary School

  • 1859

    The school opened as a national school in 1856 or 1859. It was known as Blow's Flat at the time. The first head teacher was Nicholas P. Webbe. 

  • 1860s

    A brick teacher's residence was built in 1860.

    The school became a common school in 1862.

    Its named was changed to Myrniong Common School in 1863. 

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. 

  • 1888

    The teacher's residence was sold and removed in 1888.

  • 1952

    Two local school closed and students were transported to Myrniong. 

  • 1959

    The school commemorated its 100th anniversary with a ‘centenary plaque was unveiled by the Hon. J.S. Bloomfield', Minster of Education.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Myrniong Primary School in 1970.

  • 2022

    Myrniong Primary School is still in operation.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.