JavaScript is required

150 years: Nirranda Primary School

Learn about the history of Nirranda Primary School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Nirranda, 3268
1 January 1872
1 January 1986
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Nirranda Primary School

The history of Nirranda Primary School

  • 1870

    The school opened as Nirranda Rural School (No. 9), on 16 March 1870 with the first classes held in a leased building.

    The first head teacher was Mrs Elizabeth Lee.

    The school was built by Mrs Lee's husband, John Lee, who was also the head teacher at Mepunga Common School (No. 435).


  • 1871

    The school became a common school (No. 1130).

  • 1873

    The Department of Education leased the school property and it became a state school. 

  • 1959

    The new school opened under H Creighton.

  • 1970

    The school's centenary was observed.

    The name of the school also changed to Nirranda Primary School in the same year. 

  • 1987

    Nirranda combined with Nullawarre Primary School (No. 1652) and Nirranda South Primary School (No. 4496).

    The two schools closed and a new school, Nullawarre Primary School (No. 1652) opened.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.