JavaScript is required

150 years: North Murchison State School

Learn about the history of North Murchison State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Murchison, 3610
1 October 1869
5 November 1936
School type:
School number:
Other names:
North Murchison Common School

The history of North Murchison State School

  • 1869

    North Murchison opened as a common school in 1869.

    The first head teacher was Maria Crimp.

    The schoolhouse was made from unlined timber with a bark roof. There were large gaps in the walls.

  • 1870s

    A new brick schoolhouse was built in 1872.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    The brick schoolhouse had become unsafe and it was sold in 1876.

  • 1891

    There were 20 students enrolled at the school in 1891.

  • 1898

    The school temporarily closed because student numbers were too low.

  • 1900

    The school reopened in 1900 on private land.

    Classes were held in a timber schoolhouse that had been moved from Toolamba East State School (No. 3103).

  • 1925

    The timber schoolhouse was moved to a more central position in the town.

  • 1936

    North Murchison State School closed in 1936.

    There had been no staff at the school since the late 1920s.

    The building and the land were sold.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.