JavaScript is required

150 years: Rokewood Primary School

Learn about the history of Rokewood Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

38 Aitchison Street, Rokewood, 3330
1 May 1858
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Rokewood School, Rokewood Common School, Rokewood State School

The history of Rokewood Primary School

  • 1858

    Rokewood opened as a Free Presbyterian School in 1858. The first head teacher was William Savage and 38 students were enrolled. 

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. A wooden school building was built in 1874 and could accommodate 80 students. A teacher's residence was also provided. 

  • 1896

    Mining was happening under the school site 1896. This led to the school caving in. The school had to move to a new site and classes were held in the Mechanics Institute while the new building was built. 

  • 1897

    The school building from Golden Lake State School (No. 1065) was moved to the new school site. The new building could only accommodate 60 students. 

  • 1899

    A second classroom was added in 1899. 

  • 1901

    There were 103 students enrolled in 1901. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Rokewood Primary School in 1970.

  • 2010

    A new school building was officially opened in 2010. 

  • 2022

    Rokewood Primary School is still in operation. 

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.