JavaScript is required

150 years: Scoresby Primary School

Learn about the history of Scoresby Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

11 Ingrid Street, Scoresby, 3179
11 March 1872
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Scoresby School, Scoresby State School

The history of Scoresby Primary School

  • 1872

    Scoresby opened as a common school in 1872. The first head teacher was Thomas D. Kneen and enrolment reached 60. 

  • 1891

    There was frequent flooding by the nearby Dandenong Creek and attendance dropped in 1891. 

  • 1892

    A new school building opened in 1892. 

  • 1911

    The school became a part-time school with Lysterfield State School (No. 1866). It shared its only teacher with Lysterfield and the teacher split their time between both schools. 

  • 1912

    Scoresby started teaching full time again Lysterfield closed. 

  • 1925

    School flags were exchanged between the Victorian school and Scoresby in England. 

  • 1950

    Two extra classrooms were added in 1950. 

  • 1965

    Another two detached classrooms were added in 1965. 

  • 1967

    A portable classroom was added in 1967, increasing the number of classrooms to 7. 

  • 1968

    The number of students enrolled was almost 300. A church hall was leased by the school for extra space. When Knoxfield State School (No. 4954) opened nearby the numbers dropped. 

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Scoresby Primary School in 1970.

  • 1971

    The number of students enrolled reached 311 in 1971. A second portable classroom was added and the church all was leased again. 

  • 1972

    The site of the school was considered to be too small and 5 acres on Ingrid Street was purchased. Construction of the new school started in 1972.

  • 1976

    The new school building opened in 1976. It had one main brick building and a separate building used a library. 

  • 2022

    Scoresby Primary School is still in operation. 210 students were enrolled in 2022 in 10 classes. 

    Over its 150 years in operation the school has had 33 head teachers and principals. 

    The longest serving principals at the school include:

    • Ms Beryl Pollack 15 years 1984- 1997
    • Ms Johanna Ernst 12 years 1903- 1915
    • Mr James McComb 10 years 1879-1889
    • Mr Edwin Warriner 9 years 1893- 1902

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.