JavaScript is required

150 years: Strathmore State School

Learn about the history of Strathmore State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

14-34 Lloyd Street, Strathmore, 3041
1 September 1871
3 December 1917
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Strathmore Common School

The history of Strathmore State School

  • 1870s

    Strathmore opened as a common school in 1871. The first head teacher was Geo. C. Christie.

    Classes were held in a timber schoolhouse built by the community. The walls were lined with pine and it had an iron roof.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    The school closed in June 1876 because there were not enough students. It reopened in 1877.

  • 1882

    There were 19 students enrolled at the school in 1882.

  • 1884

    Student numbers had increased and there was an average of 26 students who went to the school in 1884.

  • 1895

    The school closed again in September 1895 because there were only 17 students enrolled.

  • 1905

    The school opened again in September 1905. The schoolhouse was renovated for the school's opening.

  • 1917

    Strathmore State School closed in 1917.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.