150 years: Wehla State School

Learn about the history of Wehla State School, one of Victoria’s oldest public schools.

Key information

Wehla, 3518
7 October 1861
13 April 1960
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Jericho National School, Wehla Common School, Wehla State School

The history of School

  • 1860s

    Wehla opened as a national school in 1861. It was originally called Jericho.

    The bluestone building was located at the fork of the Burke's Flat Road. 

    James C Wilton was the first head teacher.

    Wehla became a common school (No. 320) in the 1860s.

  • 1869

    The school name changed to Wehla in 1869 when the name of the town changed.

    Wehla is a Djadjawurrung word which means white possum. The Djadjawurrung are Aboriginal Australian people who are the traditional owners of lands around Bendigo.

  • 1900s to 1950s

    The school moved to a five acre site.

    The school building was a single room with teacher's house nearby. 

    The first teachers at the new site were Alice Thomas and J Marks. 

    From 1906 to 1953, approximately 158 children attended the school. The school remained unstaffed in 1952. 

  • 1960

    Wehla closed in 1960 and the school building moved to Avoca Forest State School (No. 2014). 

    The school's last teacher was KM Kirk.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Click one of the links below to do some detective work and see what info PROV have on this school.