JavaScript is required

150 years: Yan Yean Primary School

Learn about the history of Yan Yean Primary School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

40 Old Plenty Road, Yan Yean, 3755
1 January 1861
31 December 2002
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Yan Yean Common School, Yan Yean State School

The history of Yan Yean Primary School

  • 1861

    Yan Yean was opened in 1861 school by the Presbyterian Church. The first head teacher was Angus Smith.

  • 1862

    The school became a common school in 1862. 

  • 1873

    The school became a state school in 1873. There were now 53 students at the school. There was a timber schoolhouse and house with 4 rooms for the teacher to live in.

  • 1912

    The schoolhouse and teacher's house were demolished and replaced in 1912. There were more than 40 students at the school in 1912. They were taught by a head teacher and a sewing mistress.

  • 1950s

    There were only 19 students enrolled in the early 1950s but enrolments rose again to 29.

  • 1970

    The school was renamed Yan Yean Primary School in 1970.

  • 2002

    Yan Yean Primary School closed in 2002.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.